There is power in community.
Of course it is wonderful when we can depend on ourselves. When we are strong enough to face our challenges alone.
There can also be times when we need support.
Our communities lift us up when we fall. They give us someone to talk to when we are stuck in our thoughts. They motivate us when we are close to the finish line.
As well as this support, I find my communities help me to grow. They give me a chance to experiment and share my opinion in a safe space. They remind me of my dreams and inspire me to make them happen. They give me advice and connections so that my network continues to grow.
How do you find a community?
I have built my communities through three main ways:
1. Social media has given us a fantastic opportunity to build our support groups. Personally, I have found Facebook groups amazing. Typing out my problems and seeing the support I get almost instantly helps me to feel safe and encouraged when I really needed it.
2. If you need people to connect to, meetup can be a fantastic way to find people who have the same interests as you.
3. When you have found these groups, get involved. Go out, connect, help others, drink a tea together, go to the park, whatever!
Don’t worry if you don’t get best friends immediately. Sometimes it takes 3, 4, 5 or more meetings to build a strong relationship. A true community comes from openness, exploration and commitment. Keep going, you will find your people!
I am very grateful for my community and I know I would not be here without them.
And we all deserve that.
So to close I’d like to ask you 5 questions:
- Who can you already reach out to?
- How can you build that relationship?
- How can they help you?
- How can you help them?
- What can you do to grow your community today?
Take time to ask yourself this question today and find the community that’s best for you.
Are you Berlin? Are you looking for community? Join my meetup group Confidence and Conversation and feel welcome at our next workshop.